problem with synapse

lex777

problem with synapse

Post by lex777 »

So VB3 recognizes both my mandala pads but kick ports 1 & 2 do not get recognized. When plugging my kick into hi hat or exp, VB3 recognizes the hardware but will not trigger any sounds. Any thoughts? I'd love to not have to send the synapse back for repairs
launch54321

Re: problem with synapse

Post by launch54321 »

Regular eKick pedals don't output any signals that Synapse Input 3 (HAT) and Input 4 (EXP) would recognize. eKick output is pretty standardized across the industry from Roland to Yamaha to Alesis to Kat, etc.

What pedal are you using? You'll need to get the Synapse set up properly for whatever eKick pedal you have by using the Synapse Settings software. Once you've got it right with the setup software then it's time to use it with the VB3.

Also, always make sure you are using TRS (stereo) cables for the Synapse inputs and not TS (mono).
lex777

Post by lex777 »

so im using stereo cables and my kick pad is a roland kd-9. I have the synapse software but haven't a clue how to use it. How would I calibrate the pad so VB recognizes it?
lex777

Post by lex777 »

Also, when I open synapse first I get some sort of reading, such as a line in the velocity curve box; but when I open VB, the pads are not triggering. Conversely, When I open VB first, the pads trigger but upon opening synapse, I get no readings i.e. lines in the velocity curve boxes.
lex777

Post by lex777 »

I should reiterate that at no time has the kick pad ever triggered in VB
mandrake717

Post by mandrake717 »

The kick pad will only trigger the VB if you set up the VB correctly.

Here's an example: In VB File>Audio/Pad Driver you need to set PAD 3 pulldown menu to "Mandala Synapse". Then your Synapse pedals are what controls Pad 3 in the VB. Pad 3 would be like your own sample playback machine with effects just for your pedals.

Here is a chart for what external notes from any MIDI controller (including the Synapse) trigger what zones in the VB. You need to send these notes from the Synapse to trigger the associated zones in the VB. These notes trigger zones as they are already set up in the VB:

C3 triggers "Center"
C#3 triggers "MID-IN"
D3 triggers "MID-OUT"
D#3 triggers "Edge"
E3 triggers "Rim"
F3 triggers "Xstick"

So just set the output note for your kick in the Synapse Settings software to be C3 and then you can trigger samples in the Center zone of Pad3 in the VB, and on from there.
turnkee

Post by turnkee »

I would suggest that you read the short Synapse Manual http://synesthesiacorp.com/Synapse_Manual.pdf. Especially if you say you "haven't a clue how to use" the Setup software. That's why you are having all these issues. Sounds like there is no problem with the Synapse but more of an understanding problem about what you are trying to get going.

Make sure you fully understand your Mandala pads with the VB before you bring pedals into the mix.

Mandala pads have nothing to do with the Synapse except that the Synapse is a USB hub that the pads go through.

Check that your pedal reads properly in the Synapse software Pedal MIDI Meter before using it with any other software, such as the VB.

The line in the Synapse velocity curve box isn't a reading from a pedal. It's the velocity curve for that channel. You set it to your liking with the controls under it.

Points like these will clear up after you read the manual.
launch54321

Post by launch54321 »

Just plug your KD-9 into input 1 on the Synapse and start stomping! You'll see the stomp velocity and the note in the meter on the upper right of the Synapse program every time you trigger. Then set the kick to the proper output note to trigger a zone in the VB3 and go from there.
lex777

Post by lex777 »

-------------Okay, I want to share this with everyone for sheer entertainment. what below was going to be my response:

First off I wanna thank everyone for the responses. The problem still persists and I'll explain the processes I've attempted. Before continuing, to expedite communication I'll explain that the KD-9 has been tested and works with other electronics. I am using stereo cables and my computer is a week old:

1) read the synapse manual and followed the steps for activation. my computer recognizes the mandala synapse as such.

2) opened the synapse controller and set 'midi note' to C3. Just for "good measure", I changed strength in input 1 to 75 and note len to 15. midi channel for synapse input 1 is set at "1"

3) The pedal midi meter in the upper right corner of the synapse software acknowledges velocity and displays numbers in accordance with striking the pad, no other numbers in the pedal midi meter change upon striking.

4) Opened VB3 and set mandala synapse in position 3 from the driver/audio window. audio drivers are registering sound.

5) Midi VB3 output channel is set at 1

-----------Now, As I was about to press send, I wanted to check one thing; the reason I had assumed VB3 wasn't acknowledging the pedal was because there was no indication in the virtual representation of pad 3 (those being the white rings that are displayed when hitting the mandala pads). So, I decided to load a sound and voila! Thanks again for the help and I apologize for my absent-mindedness.
turnkee

Post by turnkee »

No problem! Glad to hear it worked out.