2 zones at same time?

pikkolo

2 zones at same time?

Post by pikkolo »

Hello.

First post here 8-)

But not a new person with mandala. I own 2.0.
And with the release of th 2.9 I began wondering if finally we could strike 2 zones at the same time. I could really use that.

Some opinions ?
admin
Site Admin

Re: 2 zones at same time?

Post by admin »

The surface of the Mandala is analog, so as long as you do even the slightest flam it will be like hitting 2 zones at once (even a couple thousandths of a second is enough), but hitting 2 zones at the exact same instant will just trigger one of them.
MoonGreyBlue

Post by MoonGreyBlue »

Hi,

Forgive my post here - I see you appealed to the Synesthesia Team for a response - they will address your question much better than this post.

No sarcasm or nastiness intended:

This question has been presented by lots of folks, and I've always considered a response might be:

"Why not purchase two Mandala Drums?"

Assign the two specific sounds you wish to hyper-precisely trigger "simultaneously" - to two physically separate Mandala Drums, En voilá - the Virtual Brain or sound library software of your choosing will trigger two sounds simultaneously - no flam!

With present technologies employed, a single Mandala Drum dual-zone strike, via an extra-super-human-mathematically-precise flat-flam - will not sound two individual zone sources with the "simultaneous" precision of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.

I believe the Mandala trigger surface is in fact, a pressure sensitive switch; recognizing precise location strikes, thus enabling the Mandala to "know" where you strike the playing surface - as well as how hard (velocity) - thus, the Mandala is a true zone-intelligent electric drum.

The nature of the switch's "specific to location" zone-strike intelligence enables hyper-accurate location based triggering, via 128 concentric rings on the surface of the trigger - however, detection of a "true, flat-flam" strike on a single Mandala playing surface is not at present recognized due to the inherent design nature of the Mandala drum switch.

The Synesthesia folks have explained the switch recognizes separate strikes - i.e. flams - within "milliseconds" of each other.

So, 2 separate sounds, assigned to different respective zones, trigger nearly simultaneously - within thousandth's of a second of each other.

Cheers
pikkolo

Post by pikkolo »

Hi.

Strange argumentation.

I suppose I could ask myself - Why not 4 mandalas? Or even better - why not only mandalas?
I follow what you're impying but that's not the information I needed.

About CERN, I'd say that if I actually hear somebody that actually plays with 1 mandala and triggering the samples so "close", I will agree. Probably on a Mac, I'd say.

But at least your marketing was very intriguing.
MoonGreyBlue

Post by MoonGreyBlue »

Good evening,

* No argument offered
* Regrets the post was of no use to you
* Several posts by those with interest in the Mandala Drum enquire about flat-flam triggering capability - the CERN language was used to ridiculously illustrate a current technical limitation, as well as reveal my limitations as a dopey drummer
* The Synesthesia Team and others are much better informed to discuss the Mandala than me
* No marketing offered - just a superflous response-post, as opposed to a brief, vague: No

Best regards, and good luck!
pikkolo

Post by pikkolo »

Well.

Wasn't of no use. Just not exactly what I was asking for.

Honestly I don't believe that you're dopey. The reason I would I asked was obviously my Win system, and some other argument that I heard from a pianist - not even the best pianist can tell difference of timing below 4ms.
So - if I would be so precise to hit as close to those few ms, I had problems with doing it on my system. And honestly I use only VBrain.

I hope it's at least possible - for mandala via USB using VBrain. I'm patient, so I'd wait :) .
MoonGreyBlue

Post by MoonGreyBlue »

Very kind of you, pikkolo.

Your previous post didn't imply "you think I'm dopey" - so, no hurt - no blame!