What am I missing?

e11300

What am I missing?

Post by e11300 »

Hello,

I have 4 v2.9 Mandalas I want to use as drum pad triggers together in a single kit. I seem to be stuck because I can't change the hard coded MIDI notes. I know I can change the channel of each device but the notes stay the same. This 'seems' to be an issue (I say 'seems' because I may be completely missing something) because no matter what sotware I use it refers to notes and doesn't care what the channel is. For instance if I want to use BFD2, I am not able to trigger different drums with each pad because each center hit, for instance, is C3.

Are there any suggestions?

Thanks
mandrake717

Re: What am I missing?

Post by mandrake717 »

It's all about Battery 3 with the Mandalas for me. You can set up the program to handle as many Mandalas as you want, one for each MIDI channel (up to 16), and build a kit into one preset because of the cell matrix size potential. I use a 5x6 matrix with each column representing a Mandala (I have 5 Mandalas and each has 6 zones). Each column is set to its own MIDI channel so no pads overlap.

The other way to do it, pretty much with any drum software, is to run the software (BFD, Battery, etc.) as a plugin within a host program (Logic, ProTools, etc.) and then you can manipulate incoming MIDI any way you want as well as open any number of instances of the plugin that you'd like.
e11300

Re: What am I missing?

Post by e11300 »

Mandrake, thanks for the quick answer. I will have a closer look at Battery. I have done what you said in Ableton Live but it seemed like it was more work than it should be and I was perhaps missing something.