Use as Cymbals?

KonaNeil

Use as Cymbals?

Post by KonaNeil »

Does anyone use a full Mandala trap kit including the use of the Mandala pads as cymbals?
KonaNeil

Re: Use as Cymbals?

Post by KonaNeil »

Well... I guess no one does that. :(

I realize the edge would be an issue. A drummer would need to re-learn the hand/stick motion for a crash though one should be able to program the extreme outer zone to be a mute and stop a crash with thumb and forefinger like we do with an acoustic cymbal.

Beyond this, it occurred to me that since the current model mounts from its center much like a cymbal that if there was a spring, possibly a leaf spring in the mounting that the player could get some sway like we do from an acoustic cymbal.

The above probably sounds odd to bother with since there are several cymbal triggers on the market. However, none of them allow for positional data beyond at most three zones. As an SDX owner I've been spoiled by its "zone intelligence" which was Simmons term 25 years ago for what the Mandala does now to create an acoustic instrument experience. I would like to move on to current computer technology without dumbing down the experience the way Yamaha and Roland expect us to do.