Control Vitrual brain with iPhone/iPod/iPad???

yamahasca

Control Vitrual brain with iPhone/iPod/iPad???

Post by yamahasca »

I've been looking into being able to control the virtual brain software on stage from my ipod touch (4th gen) and found a few different apps. I'm not completely sure how these could interface with Mandala pad but I thought that some of you likeminded individuals might be able to come up with solutions or offer suggestions. I have Ableton Live so I was thinking about using that to control the Mandala, and then using the app in conjunction with Ableton. Not sure, though. What do you think?

Thanks.

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

http://www.flylyf.com/midipad-midi-cont ... -for-ipad/
SteveJ

Re: Control Vitrual brain with iPhone/iPod/iPad???

Post by SteveJ »

It's totally doable. TouchOSC is my preference as they offer a free editor app to create your own custom layouts. The midipad app looks great, but does not appear to be editable. That being said, it may be worth chckingout as it may be exactly what you need. TouchOSC comes with a nice layout specifically for Logic. It let's you access 80% of the app without touching the mouse. Nice thing is that this app is supported by Apple.

Even though TouchOSC uses Open Sound Control it still sends via core midi, so it's flexible. I would recommend buying a helper app called "Osculator". It is only $17 and worth every penny. Oscillator allows you to receive messages from one or several devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), remap that message to midi (or other formats) and resend to your software or external hardware synths. It also accepts input messages from Wii remotes. So yes, you could actually make Mandala drum sounds with a Wii remote.

I use TouchOSC for live performance. I'm an intermedia performer. I use TouchOSC to create custom controllers and (sometimes) Osculator to map the messages from multiple devices to control Logic, Live, MainStage, MaxMSP, Motion4, etc...

I just ordered my first Mandala and I'm STOKED!

Steve J
Steve J

 Apple Certified Prof.
Logic Studio ~ Aperture3 ~ Motion4
M.A. Media Arts
Univ. of Michigan