New problem, help!

Jupiter0rJapan

New problem, help!

Post by Jupiter0rJapan »

I have 4 pads, and I saw someone suggest on facebook that I could trigger sounds in the virtual brain by using my midi out on the DTX. I have not been able to get this to work. Any tips anyone?

What I have: Mandala mk2.9, Yamaha DTX 1 with midi in and out, Brand new Macbook with the Virtual Brain installed and a m-audio usb to midi cables.
Last edited by Jupiter0rJapan on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
turnkee

Re: DTX brain to send midi to VB

Post by turnkee »

If you make your DTX pads output the right MIDI notes you can trigger the zones in the Virtual Brain program. In the VB you have a total of 6 zones x 3 pads = 24 triggerable onscreen zones.)

- Connect your DTX MIDI output to your computer using your MIDI->USB cable/interface.
- Now in the Virtual Brain go to Audio Pad Driver window and choose 'M-Audio MIDI Port' in the pulldown menu for PAD 1 (and/or 2 or 3, whichever you want. You could control multiple onscreen pads with your DTX by setting PAD 2 and/or 3 to 'M-Audio MIDI Port' too.)
- Set your DTX pads to output the correct MIDI notes and you will then start triggering zones in the onscreen pad you chose above

Here are the notes that will trigger each Mandala VB zone:
C3 (MIDI note 60) triggers CENTER
C#3 (MIDI note 61) triggers MID-IN
D3 (MIDI note 62) triggers MID-OUT
D#3 (MIDI note 63) triggers EDGE
E3 (MIDI note 64) triggers RIM
F3 (MIDI note 65) triggers Xstick
Jupiter0rJapan

Post by Jupiter0rJapan »

Thank you turnkey. I am new to the world of midi, and I had no clue what to do and could not use the power of google to any effect. Now I have unlocked a whole new world! I just had a blast putting together 3 different noisy kits. Thank you so very much!
Jupiter0rJapan

Post by Jupiter0rJapan »

Ok, say I have more pads than zones, can the remaining pads spill out into the next pad slot? I have not found a way to get the pads to trigger in the next pad slots, and I'm wondering if it is even possible to split one midi device into two pad sets in the VB?