Virtual Brain not recognizing Mandala Drums

sartrig

Virtual Brain not recognizing Mandala Drums

Post by sartrig »

Hi all,

I have recently come across an issue where the VB (v3) software isn't recognizing my Mandala Drums. They show up in the MIDI/Audio setup on the laptop and the signals are also sent fine through my other software programs, but the VB isn't receiving the signals.

Has anyone come across this issue? Any idea of what I need to do to get the signals to go through and be recognized by the VB software? I'm pulling my hair out trying to get it to work..

I've tried disconnecting everything, shutting down and restarting and nothing is working. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a ton!
launch54321

Re: Virtual Brain not recognizing Mandala Drums

Post by launch54321 »

Quit the VB3 and unplug your pads. Then open the MIDI Devices window of Audio MIDI Setup and highlight and delete all Mandala icons. Now plug your Mandalas in and you should see their icons appear in the MIDI Devices window.

After this is the case then it is okay to open the VB3. The pads always have to be connected before the VB3 is opened. The "MandalaDrum####" choices should now be present in the pulldown menus next to PAD 1, etc. in the Audio/Pad Driver window of the VB3.

Also, If you are using a USB hub make sure it is a powered hub.
sartrig

Post by sartrig »

Thank you! That worked.
max.ax

Post by max.ax »

Hi, I am having this same problem. Where do I find the "MIDI Devices window of Audio MIDI Setup" ? I am running windows 8, VB3.1 and Mandala 2.9

Thanks
turnkee

Post by turnkee »

MIDI Devices Window is for Mac users. You are Windows. You should read the "Getting Started (PC)" section of the manual so you know what you are doing: http://synesthesiacorp.com/Mandala_mk2.9_Manual.pdf

It's step-by-step and it's pretty simple.
max.ax

Post by max.ax »

Thanks for the reply. My Mandala has been working fine all year. Last weekend it failed to work. The Mandala is been recognized by my pc (I see it in the control panel). It also recognizes pressure on the pad because I can calibrate the centre position. It also works in Ableton as I can play Battery3 with it. However, for some reason it does not recognize a strike in Virtual Brain. Drivers seem to work fine as I can get test tone. I've read the manual again, but still can't get Virtual Brain to recognize strikes. Any ideas anyone?
turnkee

Post by turnkee »

In case you are using an old Mandala v2 (purple rim) with the newest VB then make sure you have run the V2 Converter app on your pad so it is configured properly.

Besides that...

Do you see white circles appear on the pad in the program when you hit your pad?

If NO then:
What do you have chosen for PAD 1 in the Audio/Pad Driver Window? It should be "MandalaDrum####". Also make sure your pad is calibrated properly: File>Preferences.

if YES then:
What happens when you load a preset and then press the 1,2,3,4,5,6 keys on your keyboard? If you don't hear samples playing when you do that then your samples aren't loading/playing because you've moved something out of the Mandala Virtual Brain program folder. That folder needs to stay intact. You cant move just the program onto your desktop or something like that. It all needs to stay together with the sound library and support folder, etc.
saucehp

Post by saucehp »

Just wanted to add another issue to the pool.

I have been experiencing issues between iMAC and MacBook.

I use the macbook most of the time, but when i plug into my iMac, Mandala 5215 appears as USB MIDI, Mandala 5216 appears fine.
It also takes at least 2 restarts to get the VB to function, it sees both pads, just neither trigger.
This happens on both machines.( all updated )

Black beauty does not work either, waiting for a response. As far as i can tell the latest release is either missing files or th efile structure has been renamed ( i compared it to the Battery beauty kits which also do not load )

I've yet load VB and play straight away without any issues.
Mandalas work fine when using ableton Live.

If i ever do find an effortless way to have everything boot without a hitch, i'll post it.

Regards,
D.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Like it says in the post above, unplug your pads and highlight and delete their icons in the MIDI window of Audio MIDI Setup. Then plug them back in and they'll both register as MandalaDrum instead of USB MIDI Device.

Assign those two pads to Pad 1 and Pad 2 in File>Audio/Pad Driver in the VB program. Load presets on Pad 1 and Pad 2 in the Main window and play the pads. If you see the pads trigger on screen but no sound then fix your driver settings. Test tone should work in File>Prefs or your driver settings aren't correct. Then make sure the preset sounds loaded by pressing the 1,2,3,4,5,6 keys on your computer to trigger the sounds manually.

Also mind as well do the calibration routine for each pad in File>Prefs to get them working best with your setup. That's probably what's going on.

Battery Beauty kits haven't been available for years. They were Battery kits you could load for the old Mandala V2. They still load fine though if you have a legit version of Battery. Bootlegged versions of Battery won't open the Beauty kits. For the Beauty standalone for the Mandala mk2.9 if you can't just double click it and open it then your download is probably corrupt.
saucehp

Post by saucehp »

Thanks Admin.

Did the trick.

Question should i need to recalibrate a pad each time i use it.
My secondary pad keys losing notes when i switch to using battery. When i open the VB its still losing notes. I recalibrate and then its fine.
But this keeps occurring.

I have a legit vs of Beauty and downloaded 3 times either that or the complete system flush i did seams to have got it working. Still, i am having no luck getting it to feel right nor when using through Battery ( i had to change the file name structure ).

THanks Again