Synapse and samples

Aelxmodeaus

Synapse and samples

Post by Aelxmodeaus »

I have noticed after connecting my Synapse hub to the Mandala V2 software it distorts the user sounds I have added, but the preset sounds are fine. I have played around with the sampling rate and i/o vector settings but it doesn't seam to help.

Any suggestions?
mandrake717

Re: Synapse and samples

Post by mandrake717 »

You have to set the 'Note' setting under the Tones tab in the Virtual Brain to the same note that your sound is originally sampled at. Otherwise your sample is key following but for the wrong key.

Virtual Brain drum and percussion sounds don't follow key but user added sounds and tonal instruments in the VB library (such as piano, etc.) do.
Aelxmodeaus

Post by Aelxmodeaus »

My initial thought was that it had to match the midi note value on the pedal. But changing the note doesn't seem to affect the sound in a decreeable way.
mandrake717

Post by mandrake717 »

Your issue isn't related to the Synapse so you need to work it out before bringing the Synapse into play. To understand what's going on just assign one of your user sounds to Zone 1 ("Center") of the VB software then press the "1" key on your computer keyboard to hear the sample get triggered. If it sounds at the proper pitch then that means that you have Zone 1 ("Center") Tones>Note in the VB set to the proper note that your user sound was originally sampled at and everything is correct. If not then you have to change the Zone 1 ("Center") Tones>Note value in the VB to get it right.

Once you have that worked out then you can bring the Synapse (or any external MIDI controller for that matter) into play. Here is a chart for what external notes from any MIDI controller (including the Synapse) trigger what zones in the VB. You need to send these notes from the Synapse to trigger the associated zones in the VB. These notes don't affect any pitches, they just trigger zones as they are already set up in the VB:

C3 triggers "Center"
C#3 triggers "MID-IN"
D3 triggers "MID-OUT"
D#3 triggers "Edge"
E3 triggers "Rim"
F3 triggers "Xstick"
Aelxmodeaus

Post by Aelxmodeaus »

Thanks, but that doesn't seam to help. I have V2 software and all 7 zones send a C3 midi note to its corresponding channel. As well I don't think I can trigger sounds with my computer keyboard, but I could use a different usb controller.

I can try customizing the zone channels and notes in advanced mode to match the V3 configuration.
mandrake717

Post by mandrake717 »

Okay since you are talking about the old software you can take the same approach I wrote above by doing the following:

Instead of the 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 keys to trigger the zones you can just mouse-click in the rectangular boxes that have the titles for each zone "ZONE 1", "ZONE 2", etc. in the Zone Dashboards. Then you will hear the User Sounds you have set in those zones and you can adjust the Note settings in the Zone Dashboards until you find your original sample pitch. Try it out. Just keep adjusting the Zone 1 note setting and clicking the ZONE 1 button and you'll hear the pitch be different for each note.

Once you have that worked out then here is a chart for what external notes from any MIDI controller (including the Synapse) trigger what zones in the old VB. You need to send these notes from the Synapse to trigger the associated zones in the old VB. These notes don't affect any pitches, they just trigger zones as they are already set up in the VB:

C3 (channel 1) triggers Zone 1
C3 (channel 2) triggers Zone 2
C3 (channel 3) triggers Zone 3
C3 (channel 4) triggers Zone 4
C3 (channel 5) triggers Zone 5
C3 (channel 6) triggers Zone 6
C3 channel 7 triggers Zone 7
Aelxmodeaus

Post by Aelxmodeaus »

Thank you @mandrake717. I had everything backwards. It does make more sense to set the Synapse notes to the VB zone and not the other way around. Sounds perfect now.