Working Recording Setup?

Thermington

Working Recording Setup?

Post by Thermington »

After some browsing the ASIO4ALL forums, I found that you can only use one device at a time. Well this makes it difficult to record audio from Virtual Brain and record with a DAW (in my case I use Ableton Live 8), and if your trying to listen to an audio track while playing your Mandala.
There's all sorts of confusion going on about getting ASIO4ALL to work in Windows 7 with recording devices and I've been searching and configuring for hours now.

So I wanted to know other user's recording setup.
Do you use ASIO4ALL or another driver program? What programs and setup allow you to play the Mandala and record Virtual Brain output with a DAW?
mandrake717

Re: Working Recording Setup?

Post by mandrake717 »

Use ReWire to get your audio into Ableton from the Virtual Brain.

Here's how I do it:

- Close the VB3.
- Open LIVE
- Open the VB3
- In the VB3 go to File>Audio/Pad Diver Window
Choose 'ad_rewire' as Driver, and turn audio to 'On'
Set Output Channel 1 & 2 to 'ReWire Out 1 & 2'
- In LIVE set the 'Audio From' in an audio track to 'Virtual Brain v3.0' and set that track's 'Monitor' to 'In'

That does it.
Thermington

Re: Working Recording Setup?

Post by Thermington »

Thanks for the help, much appreciated man. I did get this set-up up and running.
I had some lag at first, I was using my default audio card's output in Ableton, apparently you still have to use ASIO4ALL as you output driver in Ableton to get a quick response time with no lag.

So I'll post my setup below if anyone else has this issue.
Have Mandala Drum plugged in.
Open Ableton Live 8 first.
Open Virtual brain, in "driver" field use "ad_rewire". With Output Channel 1 & 2 to 'ReWire Out 1 & 2'.
In Ableton go to options - Preferences, under the "MIDI / Sync" tab, make sure the Mandala is NOT being monitored (this will prevent Virtual Brain for using it if it is monitored).
Under the "Audio" tab, use ASIO as "Driver type", and ASIO4ALL as "Audio Device" for best responsive audio output.
In a blank Audio track set the "Audio From" to "Virtual Brain v3.0" , and set that track's "Monitor" to "In".

Thanks to user mandrake717.