Summarize V2 and V3 differences please.

jlanpheer

Summarize V2 and V3 differences please.

Post by jlanpheer »

Hi, can you please summarize the differences between the V2 and the V3 models please? Of course, if there's a document that lists them in detail, can you point us to it?

Obviously, the design is a bit different and there are zones on the rim. Are there different MIDI messages that are sent by the V3? Does it send MPE messages? If not, could it possibly send MPE in a future update (or will that be a 'V4')?

I own a V2 and am curious what (if anything other than design) will be substantially different.
Many thanks and cheers on your new product launch!
Jim
admin
Site Admin

Re: Summarize V2 and V3 differences please.

Post by admin »

Here are the general differences between the v2 and V3:

v2 uses a piezo sensor for velocity and V3 uses pressure sensitive ink.
v2 has no rim triggering and V3 has 9 individual rim zone triggers (which double as pressure continuous controllers).
v2 can have up to 7 surface zone triggers and V3 can have up to 4.
v2 mounts to a horizontal L-rod and V3 mounts to a vertical L-rod.
v2 has a thin rubber surface over the membrane and V3 is a bit thicker for more of an acoustic drum response.
v2 outputs notes with velocity and a position continuous controller and V3 outputs those plus continuous pressure and slide.
v2 has a closed body and V3 is open body which makes its strike noise substantially lower.
V3 includes an interchangeable output cartridge for future add-ons and upgrades.

MPE is essentially note triggers being output on sequential MIDI channels so that each one can have independent pitch bend and controllers on their own MIDI channel while they are sounding. You can set the V3 to output each of its triggers (4 on the surface and 9 on the rims) and each of its controllers (3 on the surface and 9 on the rims) on their own MIDI channels in order to achieve the same or a very similar result.

Thank you! The launch has gone well and pre-orders are now closed. Announcements regarding a possible second production run will be made as we approach shipping time. We would like to keep quality control very tight as we launch this new version.
jlanpheer

Re: Summarize V2 and V3 differences please.

Post by jlanpheer »

Oh crap, really sorry to hear that pre-orders are closed. I was going to jump in based on your answers. I'm probably out then, but i do appreciate your explanation of the differences between the versions. Sad to hear about pre-orders being closed but happy for you guys.