Mandala and Pedals?

Morat

Mandala and Pedals?

Post by Morat »

Hi all, I'm just starting out drumming and I've been hunting around for a starter kit that fits into the limited space of our house. I've been looking at the Yamaha DD-65, but then I came across the Mandala on Youtube yesterday and was blown away. I love the idea of being able to use the BB snare as a step-up from a practice pad, or set up a kit using the zones - never mind just messing about with all the stuff it can do.

I have one question about it though. Is there any way to use it with pedals? Ideally I'd like to get some USB/midi pedals and have one set up as a bass pedal and the other as a hi-hat. Can I do that in the virtual brain software? Is it possible to set up a zone as an open hi-hat and have it respond to a pedal input to make it closed?

If I bought the Mandala and a couple of pedals I wouldn't have any more funds for more software, so I need to be able to do this through the Virtual Brain or free software.

I'm new to all this stuff and have never done anything with midi, but I'm a fast learner. I hope :)
turnkee

Re: Mandala and Pedals?

Post by turnkee »

Any MIDI controller hooked to your computer (pads, keys, pedals, etc.) can be assigned to a 'Pad' in the Mandala Virtual Brain and trigger the pad zones. I never tried to do the open/closed hi hat thing you were talking about but you can definitely do some tricky stuff with the different MIDI signals that get into the program. I know with NI Battery you can pretty much do anything you can think of!
jaguitadrubas

Re: Mandala and Pedals?

Post by jaguitadrubas »

Morat wrote:Hi all, I'm just starting out drumming and I've been hunting around for a starter kit that fits into the limited space of our house. I've been looking at the Yamaha DD-65, but then I came across the Mandala on Youtube yesterday and was blown away. I love the idea of being able to use the BB snare as a step-up from a practice pad, or set up a kit using the zones - never mind just messing about with all the stuff it can do.

I have one question about it though. Is there any way to use it with pedals? Ideally I'd like to get some USB/midi pedals and have one set up as a bass pedal and the other as a hi-hat. Can I do that in the virtual brain software? Is it possible to set up a zone as an open hi-hat and have it respond to a pedal input to make it closed?

If I bought the Mandala and a couple of pedals I wouldn't have any more funds for more software, so I need to be able to do this through the Virtual Brain or free software.

I'm new to all this stuff and have never done anything with midi, but I'm a fast learner. I hope :)
Hi there,
I'm looking around for USB/MIDI kick pads and hihat pedals, do you know of any?
Thanks